CASE STUDY: Creating an online competition that runs smoothly involves an end to end solution that encompasses marketing strategy and robust technology. The National Lottery UK teamed up with Traction Digital for a competition with a peak volume of 5400 entries per hour. The stakes were high but so was the outcome.
- Create competition incentives to entice the public into playing their Lotto game
- Convert offline players and increase the number of players entering and paying online
- Meet best-practice accessibility requirements, and guarantee a 100% uptime throughout the competition lifecycle
- Created ‘Lotto Treats’ campaign, where every entrant to the Lotto received a unique code to be used online to redeem for a minimum reward of £5
- Build responsive microsite builds catering to all modern desktop and mobile browser
- Ensure responsive email template builds meeting all best-practice email client and device requirements, replete with dynamic content to personalise each individual recipient’s email
- The competition received over 125,000 entries in the 10 days it was open to the public, with a peak volume of 5,400 entries per hour
- Rewards were delivered via triggered emails, with the reward selected being dynamically inserted into the email
- Executed the campaign in under five working weeksTractionNext automation platform
The full story
The National Lottery is the United Kingdom’s state-franchised lottery, licensed and operated by Camelot Group.
The National Lottery wanted to reward and thank players for playing the game. They also wanted to convert offline players to enter and pay online.
The ‘Lotto Treats’ campaign was created to provide all Lotto entrants with a unique online code to redeem a reward with a minimum value of £5; these rewards ranged from money off restaurants to gym memberships and magazine subscriptions.
Rewards were selected randomly and delivered via triggered emails.
Traction was known to Camelot Group through existing partner agencies, with our reputation for quick turnaround of excellent work. We executed the campaign in under 5 working weeks.
The ‘Lotto Treats’ competition received over 125,000 entries in the 10 days it was open to the public, with a peak volume of 5,400 entries per hour.
Traction’s powerful competition platform enabled customer data capture, verification of unique codes and the delivery of unique reward codes to be redeemed at the partner’s websites.
Responsive microsites built catered to all modern desktop and mobile browsers and tested via Browserstack and physical devices to further ensure that best-practice accessibility requirements were met.
Responsive email templates met all best-practice email client and device requirements, with dynamic content to personalise each individual recipient’s email.
Our robust and elastic hosting service ensured balanced volume loads and expanded capacity as needed to guarantee a 100% uptime throughout the competition lifecycle.
Traction’s rich reporting capabilities, allowed The National Lottery to have real-time performance insights into the competition.
Integration with our customer service partners ensured all queries were answered and resolved within 24 hours.
The Traction team and the platform itself offered a one-stop solution for the client, ranging from the competition build and back-end database solution to responsive microsites and email templates, elastic hosting and integration with our customer services partner.
This eased the workload on Camelot’s marketing team at a time when multiple projects were being run, with our solution being iteratively designed, built and launched within 5 working weeks.
“The campaign was critical to our growth targets and this competition exceeded our expectations. Traction Digital handled the peak rate of entries that ran into the hundreds per second, plus answer and resolve all queries within 24 hours.”
Adam Chataway The National Lottery Brand Manager
About Traction Digital
Traction Digital are experts in acquisition and engagement, streamlining the execution of cross-channel marketing campaigns, including lifecycle email, abandoned cart, promotions and ROI tracking.