1$day was launched in 2011 and is dedicated to reducing the global inequities in children’s health and education. During the 1$day event, Australians are encouraged to participate in the simple act of giving just $1 on one day to reduce inequities in children’s health and education. Arguably the world’s simplest, most inclusive and affordable charitable fundraising event has launched its 2012 campaign with a message to every Australian: dig deep for $1 and collectively change a child’s life.
To continue to build upon the success of their inaugural event in 2011, 1$day knew that they had to embark upon a digital communications strategy in order to increase donations in 2012. The team lacked both the email marketing experience and team resources necessary to execute the campaigns they envisioned. 1$day needed a partner who could provide comprehensive strategy, design and execution support in order for them to achieve their objectives.
- Build a database of event champions and donors.
- Communicate regularly and cost-effectively to a diverse audience.
- Segment the communications to target the right message, to the right audience, at the right time.
- Measure and track what is being most read, who opens the emails, how much time is being spent engaging with the content.
- Report on performance to ensure that they continuously improve and tailor their messaging.
- Drive donations, create loyalty and build digital word-of-mouth.
WHY TRACTION DIGITAL?
Traction Digital was recommended as a leading email and digital communications company by their consulting advertising agency, McCann Erickson. In line with their other pro-bono initiatives, Traction Digital was pleased to be able to support 1$day through the provision of their in house Traction Express platform, professional services and best practice expertise.
Traction Digital provided a full bureau service to execute the campaign on the Traction Express platform, including:
- Graphic design and coding of a suite of email newsletters and eDMs.
- Custom web forms that integrated the Traction Express platform with their existing website.
- Best practice advice on deliverability.
- Account management and customer support.
- End-to-end campaign management – including email build from supplied content and assets, data management, segmentation, targeting, testing and campaign execution.
A total of 12 emails were sent over the course of the campaign with the objectives ranging from an event invitation to campaign and outcome updates. The emails
were designed and delivered by Traction Digital to variety of 1$day audience segments, including:
- Donors and subscribers
- Schools – Principals and students
- Local councils
Over $57,000 was raised during the 2012 campaign, with hopes of breaking the $60,000 mark during the year. The funds were invested through Save The Children towards a Water, Sanitation and Hygiene project in an Ethiopian school, and the Aboriginal school attendance programme in Darwin.
“We are deeply grateful for the generosity of time and practical support for the past two years from your amazing team. To have the expertise and technology engine of Traction Digital as a resource and partner in 1$day has helped us build a brand, national engagement, and most importantly donations. Traction Digital have helped make this a reality, and it will change thousands of children’s lives, this year and well into the future. We really value the relationship and look forward to developing a powerful fundraising campaign with Traction Digital and every Australian.” – Sophie Bartho, Co-Founder